5 Summer Tips for Healthy Hair
Getting out and being active in the summer sun can feel invigorating but the heat can cause damage to your hair if you aren’t taking the right precautions to protect it. Our expert stylists at PR at Partners have put together some summer tips for keeping your hair silky soft, frizz-free, and healthy in the hot summer sun.
- Guard your hair against damage. The heat from the summer sun can dry out your hair, causing damage that can result in dry, brittle hair. When your hair suffers from this kind of damage, it can be prone to breakage, become frizzy, and the color can become dull. If you know you’re going to be out in the sun for any amount of time, wear a wide-brimmed or bucket hat to keep your hair safe. You can also use a sun protectant product with UV filters to block out the harmful rays.
- Protect your hair before swimming. When you go into any body of water, be it a pool or the ocean, if your hair is completely dry, it will soak up the chlorine or salt water which can damage your hair. To reduce the risk of damage, rinse your hair or apply some leave-in conditioner before swimming. Rinse your hair right after swimming to get rid of the residue from chlorine or salt.
- Get regular trims. Even if you’re growing your hair out, getting regular trims with your stylist at PR at Partners will help to keep your hair healthy. Since your hair is more susceptible to breakage in the summer months, the best way to keep your hair looking and feeling its best is to keep those split ends trimmed – and when you’re at the salon, you can indulge in a deep conditioning treatment as needed to keep your hair moisturized.
- Condition frequently. While you only need to shampoo 1-2 times a week, the best way to combat dry summer hair is by using a high-quality moisturizing conditioner to add moisture to your hair. Your PR stylist can give you recommendations on the conditioners that are the most hydrating and work best for your hair type and texture. You can also add leave-in products to your hair routine.
- Stay away from heated styling tools. Your hair is exposed to enough heat in the summer just from the sun, adding in more heat from styling tools can cause more damage. If you cannot cut out heated styling tools completely, at least try to style your hair naturally a couple of days a week. Also, invest in a good heat protectant styling product to protect your hair before using your tools.
Keep your hair healthy this summer with a little help from your favorite stylist today. We have multiple locations in Virginia, Maryland, and the DC area. Visit our PR at Partners website to find a location near you, book online, or give our mobile app a try. Our mobile apps are available for free at AppStore or Google Play.